How to Create an Outdoor Pond Surrounded by Paving Stones
A pond is a lovely addition to any yard. Whether a serene reflection pool, a fish pond, or a pond beneath a bubbling water fountain, your outdoor space can incorporate the soothing elements of water. This will enhance the overall look and feel of your home, creating a zen like outdoor space for relaxing and entertaining. By surrounding your pond with rustic paving stones you can enhance the natural elements that make your pond feel as if it belongs there.
If you want to add ambiance to your home, follow these steps to learn how to create an outdoor pond surrounded by paving stones:
- Select your ponds location. If you want to hear the sound of a bubbling fountain pouring into your pond, install your fountain near a window to your home. Placing one outside of your bedroom can create a beautiful sound to wake up to, while placing it outside a living room window can provide an amazing view. If you are planning to install patio pavers consider installing your pond adjacent to them.
- Excavate the Area. Dig an area that is 4 feet by 7 feet in order to create a large enough space for the water to stay fresh. If you are adding fish you should dig an additional 18 inches deep. Make sure that you leave space around the pond to add your paving stones. In other words don’t put it too close to the house.
- Dig a Trench for a PVC Conduit. This needs to go to the nearest electrical outlet to connect the water pump.
- Level the Sides of Your Pond. Take a 2×4 and set it across the top of your pond. Take a level and place it on the top to determine if it is level.
- Lay a Sand Base. Place a one inch thick sand base inside of the pond.
- Use a Plastic Liner. Carefully place the plastic liner along the inside of your pond. Smooth out the creases to make sure it is flat.
- Fill the Pond. Take your garden hose and fill up your pond. Do not fill it up to the top or it will spill over.
- Install the Pump. Thread the chord to your pump through the PVC conduit and lay it in the trench you dug. Cover with dirt and place the pump in the deepest part of your pond.
- Lay Paving Stones. We can install paving stones all the way around your pond to create a lovely patio and garden area. This way you can relax next to your pond while sitting on patio furniture and drinking tea. For step by step instructions on installing paving stones click HERE.
- Install a Border. You can have your paving stones go all the way up to the edge of your pond or surround your pond with a pavers border that is raised in order to prevent any water from spilling over. You can also use rock boulders.
When surrounding your pond with paving stones you should use a paver sealer. Paver sealer will make your pavers even more durable and easier to maintain. View our full online pavers collection, and shop for pavers specials, before starting your pond project to save money.
Comments are closed